A modern version of the beginning of Parashat Massey (Numbers, chaps. 33-end) is the prelude for my Israel journey. How fitting that yesterday’s parashah WAS Massey.
CHRONICLES OF NOAH XXIV, CHAP. 17
1) These are the journeys of the young professionals in Chicago, who went out of the land of America with their trip leaders under the hands of Shorashim and Taglit. 2) And Noakh Avraham ben Meir v’Chaya Liba wrote their goings out according to their journeys by the commandment of his memory, and these are the journeys.
3) And they departed from Chicago in the fourth month, on the eighteenth day of the fourth month, corresponding to the twentieth day of the seventh month of the Gregorian calendar, and arrived in New York. 4) And they departed from New York and arrived in Tel Aviv. 5) And they departed from Tel Aviv and pitched in Parod.
6) And they departed from Parod and arrived in the Gilaboon. 6) And they departed from Gilaboon and arrived in Katzrin. 7) And they picked up from Katzrin and arrived on Har Bental. 8> And they left Har Bental and made an unexpected stop at Z’fat. 9) And they departed from Z’fat and camped at Parod on Shabbat Kodesh.
9) And they departed Parod and arrived at Karmiel. 10) And they departed from Karmiel and returned to Parod.
11) And they departed from Parod for the last time and landed in Z’fat. 12) And they departed from Z’fat and camped in Tel Aviv. 13) And they departed from Tel Aviv and pitched in Yerushalayim in the Old City.
14) And they departed from Yerushalayim and stopped in Tel Aviv. 15) And they escaped from Tel Aviv and arrived in Yerushalayim to one half of the memorial mountain. 16) And they departed from Yerushalayim and pitched in G’vulot.
17) And they departed from G’vulot and arrived at Talme Yosef. 18> And they left Talme Yosef and arrived at the tomb of Ben Gurion. 19) And they departed from the grave of Ben Gurion and arrived at Mitzpeh Ramon. 19) And they departed from Mitzpeh Ramon and camped in the Bedouin tents.
20) And they departed from the Bedouin tents and hiked up Masada. 21) And they departed from Masada and arrived in Arad. 22) And they diverged from Arad to Yam Ha’melakh and Be’er Sheva. 23) And they converged again as a group in Yerushalayim. 24) And they departed from Yerushalayim and pitched in Almog.
25) And they left Almog and arrived on the other half of the memorial mountain in Yerushalayim. 26) And they departed from the Memorial Mountain and arrived on Rahov Ben Yehuda. 27) And they departed from Rahov Ben Yehuda and pitched again in Almog, for Shabbat Kodesh.
28> And they departed from Almog and arrived at Tel Aviv. 29) And they danced an Akhim Simkha, and their immediate paths diverged.
[The remainder of the blog entries will be in paragraph format, and not in Bible verse format. It was simply fitting that the parashah on one of the Shabbatot happened to have the travelogue of the children of Israel!]