Yesterday, I wrote about how I would have an extra two days of vacation due to the weather conditions preventing me from getting to Midway. It was a great day, with watching the football game with Mom and Dad in the evening, and actually managing to get some research done. The joys of working as a theorist instead of an experimentalist–I can theoretically (pun not intended) do work anywhere, any time.
However, today I looked at Southwest.com, only to find that all flights from Omaha to Chicago were again cancelled. So, I postponed one more day to Wednesday at 16:20 by circumstance.
Though this may sound like a bad thing, remember that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes the reason is good. I may never know what that reason is, but there is some important rationale for why I am still in Lincoln.
Plus, I am very lucky. Some travellers may be stuck in airports, with the airlines maybe not springing for lodging, leaving them in the airport for long periods of time. Some may have had to endure hour-plus waits on the tarmac, only to return to the gate. Some will have had weather preventing them from even getting to the airport in the first place. Some may have work that is not portable, and they are losing productivity for themselves and their company.
Whereas I have been “stuck” with a loving Mom and Dad, a wonderful house to sleep in, good food to eat, and all the amenities that I would want. Yesterday and today, I managed to get some of my research done, even if it was not very efficient. Plus, the more important thing: I got some extra hours with Mom and Dad before a hiatus of about four months!
Count your blessings. What may seem like a drawback is often an opportunity, a protection, or another positive situation.
Today is the seventh day of M.M.X.I.V. That makes one week.