“Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down? Oh no! Let’s go! Let’s go crazy!”
Apologies to The Artist Formerly Known As Prince, but when I saw the Daily Post prompt, I just had to use that line, and also write about the elevators. They’ve been a source of childish impulse for me… and I just wanted to write some things about the significance that elevators have played for me, especially involving the Embassy Suites.
When I was young, it was always fun to go on vacation. I lived in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and our vacation spots were such “exotic” places as Des Moines, Omaha, Lincoln, and Milwaukee. One summer weekend, we went to Adventureland on the east side of Des Moines, and stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown on the river, catty-corner from the Channel 8 studio (which I think has moved since then).
In Embassy Suites hotels, there are lush atria with plenty of tables, lights, and greenery, with skylight coming in from above. From the atrium, you can see balconies of all of the floors. (Thankfully, each floor has a guard rail to prevent the accidental walking off into the atrium from above.) In this particular Suites, there were four elevators, one on each corner of the atrium.
These elevators are glass elevators, which means that you can see the atrium as you ascend. As a seven or eight-year old Aspie, this was fascinating to me, and led me to the exhilarating conclusion that I would go up and down the elevator from top to bottom repeatedly. Mom and Dad allowed this a few times, and that became one of my favorite things about the hotel. The spacious guest rooms and complimentary, expansive breakfast didn’t hurt either!
My next time in an Embassy Suites was in 1998, for my first family vacation to a non-family destination! It was for Dad’s AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians) conference in Chicago. From the entrance, there was a grand staircase that led up to the atrium, which again had the view of the sky, the red flowery carpet, the tables, the plants, and the glass elevators. This time, the elevators were all in one spot.
But, another fascinating thing about me to the elevators: Sometimes they would “ding” once upon arrival at a floor, sometimes the “ding” would resound twice. Always looking for patterns, I was not able to deduce it at the time, but many years later when I moved to Chicago, I figured it out. One “ding” corresponded to one flash of the white top circle or up arrow. Two “dings” corresponded to two flashes of the red bottom circle or down arrow.
Although I have some other elevator stories, they’re not really related to impulse, so I’ll save those for another day.
Today is the sixty-seventh day of M.M.X.I.V. That makes nine weeks and four days.
This post was a response to yesterday’s Daily Post prompt:
Sometimes, we act on impulse: it could be something as small as ordering that special dessert on the menu, maybe asking out that cute boy or girl, or as large quitting your job and selling everything you own to become a shepherd in New Zealand. What’s the most crazy, outrageously impulsive thing you’ve ever done? If you’ve never succumbed to temptation, dream a little. If you gave yourself permission to go a little crazy, what would you do?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us IMPULSE.
I must admit that this is not the most outrageous thing that I have ever done, but the title of the post stood out more than the superlatives in the prompt.
Here are some other responses to this post.
- A Supposedly Fun Thing I Should Never Have Done in the First Place | AS I PLEASE
- Tea for two | The Bliss of Reality
- I Did Something Crazy | Lifestyle | WANGSGARD
- On being yourself | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- A Watermark, a Ford Falcon and a Creative Commons License walk into an alley… | Greg Urbano
- This Daily Prompt Is For Men Only & My Short Story For The Day | The Jittery Goat
- impulse | yi-ching lin photography
- the city is an | y
- Daily Prompt: Let’s go Crazy! | Raevenly Writes
- Unlucky | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Comrades | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- DP Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Sabethville
- Caramel Filled Chocolates | Miss Spicy Hat N’ Sugar Socks
- Wild Woman: let’s go crazy! | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Let’s go with this. I suck at being impulsive. | thoughtsofrkh
- One Crazy Mom » Things I’m Crazy For
- THE WORST DECISION | SERENDIPITY
- Friday Flash – Impulse | My Little Avalon
- Time for some Kitchen Dancing! | MamaMickTerry
- Crazy for Thinking I Could Change Him Prayers and Promises
- Around The World | swiggityswag
- Venturing Beyond the Comfort Zone | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- The Convenience of Paradise | the intrinsickness
- IMPULSE | dandelionsinwind
- Excavating… | Haiku By Ku
- Women’s days and craziness | Sue’s Trifles
- “Let’s Go Crazy” | Relax
- comfort in my crazy | peacefulblessedstar
- “Sleep on it” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompot: Let’s go crazy – African Style | The Pink Cucumber
- Dream Job | Why is there bread in my Kool-Aid?
- The Drive | Kate Murray
- Crazy Train? No, Crazy Bike | Cancer Isn’t Pink
- What Do You See? The Forest or the Trees? | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Awl and Scribe
- Walking Over There | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Welcome to the Machine | Rob’s Surf Report
- Bad idea | A picture is worth 1000 words
- spur | A beetle with earrings
- What Have I Done? | Flowers and Breezes
- let’s go crazy | klstar2000
- “Is that Girl WALKING?” – Daily Prompt | Bits & Pieces
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy, 07.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- Fallen fancy | shame
- no direction home, a complete unknown | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Being Impulsive! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- I Dropped Out of Grad School To Become a Missionary
- Time for a little daydream.. | Raspberry’s Daydreams
- Impulse | The Land Slide Photography
- Taming Kittens | Real Life Co.
- Out of My Mind….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Stark Raving Love | Black Ink Pink Desk
- Losing Money on an Impulse | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Really Random Musings
- Think Before You… Oh Wait, Too Late. | meg lago
- Growing up a nomad, I always had a “go” bag ready for spontaneity, and possible (yet fashionable) zombie apocalypse « psychologistmimi
- I Broke The Projector…SSShhh Don’t Tell Anyone! | Life Confusions
- Reflecting on my Magic Kingdom Internship | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Meanwhile, on a Mountain Top… | Green Embers
- I’m # 1 (or What happens when you like your own WP Post) | Altared Egos
- The Road Calls | Random Words
- Impulse – The Daily Prompt
- Is it crazy to go against society’s expectations? | A New Life Wandering
- Hawaiian Paradise | Jaspa’s Journal
- One Decision that Changed My Life Course | Schizo Incognito
- Musings: A Little Crazy… | Mirth and Motivation
- Gone Sailing
- Impulse Control: The Price of Not Following my Own Advice | Bullshit-Free Zone
- Going too crazy! | Trucker Turning Write
- What Not to Confess to the Person You’ve Been Dating For 3.5 Weeks | Kosher Adobo
- Let’s Go Crazy – Ramblings from the Swamp
- Daily Prompt: impulse | That Montreal Girl
- Stories From My Mind
- Slow-Burning Impulse | Serial Distractions
- Shepherding in Europe | tuckedintoacorner
- The Things We Do At Conferences…. | RePrEsSeD ExPrEsSiOnS
- Quite possibly the craziest thing I’ve ever done! | browney237’s Blog
- Crazy for Thinking I Could Change Him
- Impulse Souveniring | djgarcia94
- Impulse. Maybe. ~ Daily Prompt | joannebest
- Crazy trips | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy – “Dance & Band” | A Midnight Blog
- A lesser-known hamster habit (Daily Prompt: “Let’s Go Crazy, Show Us Impulse”) | Photo0pal Photography
- Daily Prompt: Impulse | Lady K’s Lounge
- Keeps On Giving | Wiley’s Wisdom
- The Blog Farm | Musings: A Little Crazy…
- Daily Prompt 03072014: Let’s Go Crazy | Annie, are you OK?
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Go Crazy | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Acting on impulse | Willow’s Corner
- Tradesmen’s Crossing | aliabbasali
- The way out, the waterway | Le Drake Noir
- If I could be anywhere | Fonts and Frosting