Like other times, this is a response to a Daily Prompt, a day after the actual prompt appeared in my Reader. When I was growing up in Fort Dodge, honestly I don’t have too many memories of music directly. However, I did play the piano, so I got some experience with pure instrumental music. This was also true since I got used to game show theme songs, some of the classical music that was played in some Looney Tunes/Tom & Jerry, and of course, the smooth jazz played during the local forecasts on The Weather Channel.
If I would listen to the radio, it was Star 102.5 (KSTZ Des Moines) which played the “adult contemporary” format–70’s, 80’s, and today (i.e. 90’s). I seemed partial to most of the songs, although nothing really stuck out then. Electronic and dance music from the 90’s somewhat stood out, particularly at Hollingsworth Studio and the bowling alley.
Once we moved to Lincoln, my musical tastes diverged from my siblings’. They liked the new songs from the late 90’s, and I started to dislike them, whether due to sheer repetition on 102.7 (KFRX Lincoln), a Top 40 station in Lincoln, or just that I didn’t like the way they sounded. Some particular songs which always got my goat were “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia, “No Scrubs” by TLC, or “Genie In A Bottle” by Christina Aguilera. My preferences were still the 70’s and 80’s, so I started listening to The Eagle (92.9 KTGL Lincoln/Beatrice).
The radio therefore became a virtual battle between my siblings (then ages 7, 9, 9) and me (age 11)–jockeying for the control of it, and adamant “Keep it!/Change it!” requests to Mom on the first song heard that anyone didn’t like (and usually, at least one of the other siblings did like it). These radio battles were often on car rides.
In fact, one of them works very well with this post number! For my 11th birthday, we went to Fort Dodge to celebrate the fourth of July, and stayed at a family-friend’s house. On the fifth, we headed back toward Lincoln, wanting to go into western Iowa en route in order to go to Uncle Jack’s place, but the roads were impassable due to rain.
When we got to Interstate 80, we rode in the van while watching the flooded countryside. The radio was very irksome, as we could not seem to find a station that was not playing “Torn.” As soon as I heard the first chord, I adamantly shouted, “Change it!!” and Mom and Dad accepted my request over my siblings’, given the sheer repetition of that song. We found a classic rock station for a little while.
(Why did I despise “Torn” so much? In addition to not caring much for the song itself, it got really popular near April 29, 1998. That was one of only two days during my scholastic career in Lincoln that I missed due to illness–suffered from a 24-hour bug that day. Therefore, there is that association whenever the song plays…)
These radio battles occasionally happen when my siblings get together again, although this time in the case of personal MP3s that are playing aloud. Often when preparing for our ערב קריסמס (Erev Christmas) party. My varied mix often draws jeers when Hebrew songs start playing, and some of the video game background music do not resonate well with my sisters.
But, I feel that my upbringing has allowed me to appreciate a wide variety of music. If you have read some of my “Musical Memories Shuffle” posts, you see the wide variety of music that I have on my MP3 player (i.e. like).
Actually, maybe that is how I will prompt myself during M.A.P.L.E. this year… shuffle my MP3 player and take the nth song to give a suggestion each day. We’ll see if that comes through.
Today is the eightieth day of M.M.X.I.V. That makes eleven weeks and three days.
Yesterday’s Daily Prompt was as follows:
And here are other posts that address this prompt:
- Moon-rock | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Rhythm | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Music, Food and a Dash of Wild | Rose-tinted Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo- How a Song Could Brings Back Beautiful Memories | Journeyman
- Hey, Hey Good Lookin’ & Divine Providence | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- A Whole Other Selection | Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | likereadingontrains
- Great Music Never Dies | Musings | WANGSGARD
- My Musical Memory Set List (Volume Two) | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves… | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves KISS | My Outlook on the World
- punk | yi-ching lin photography
- A Taste Of Honey | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Sabbatical Songs: growing up in Oxford | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- One Crazy Mom » Growing Up With Music
- Papa Loves Dylan | The Magic Black Book
- To Run in a Dream | The Nameless One
- Hats, spurs and belts | Kate Murray
- The One That Could Have Been [Ndifreke’s Story] | She Writes
- Songs Of Yesterday | Awake & Dreaming
- Wednesday’s Run | Oldman
- A Dream: An Open Letter to Air Supply | Kosher Adobo
- Punk | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Will The Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up?! | Life Confusions
- 281. Hee Haw and Soap Bubbles | Barely Right of Center
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | Basically Beyond Basic
- Do The Diversity Dance. | Asta’s Space
- The Greatest Generation Had The Best Music | Just Visiting This Planet
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | A Mixed Bag
- Minutely Infinite | Rewinding the mixtape
- Let’s Not Go to the Beach | Green Embers
- My Score ::E.N.Howie’s Motivational Moments
- DP: TRIOS | DANDELION’S DEN
- The Origin of My Musical Taste | wisskko’s blog
- Girls’ Studies: Oh, How I Miss the Mix Tape | The Bookshelf of Emily J.
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | MythRider
- “Papa Loves Mambo” | Relax
- the music man | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Daily Prompt:Papa Loves Mambo | Love your dog
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo « cognitive reflection
- Music – A Flash Fiction | My Little Avalon
- “My generation”…when did I grow up? | Brandtastic’s daily ramblings
- Forgotten Music | Flowers and Breezes
- We Forgot How To Music | Knowledge Addiction
- Daily Prompt: The Music of Yesteryear | Rolbos ©
- DP Daily Prompt : PAPA LOVES MAMBO | Sabethville
- Momma loved country! | Active Army Wife
- Songs of the Heart | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- From Classical to Pop, 20.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- Ain’t nothing but a Hound | Secrets from the Hound Cave!
- Mama Loves Mambo: Daily Post | Destino
- Daily Prompt: Music became my coping mechanism. | Willow Blackbird
- I Love A Little Bit Of Mambo | Musings of a Soul Eclectic
- Life is Hard
- Among the Whispers
- Mama Can’t Rap | (Don’t Be) Too Timid and Squeamish
- Growing up to Moms Music | mskirian
- Music in the house | Emovere
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Papa Love Mambo | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Music Is What Life Sounds Like | westlifebunny
- Blame It On The Bluegrass | Cass’s Useless Opinions
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Living to a different beat | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | GoKittenGo
- Daily Prompt: Music To My Ears | Morrighan’s Muse
- Music Moves Me | Step Into My Head
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo « LIVING WITH MY ANCESTORS
- Papa loves Mambo | fromdublintoparis
- Manly music | Trucker Turning Write
- The Fabric of Music | In So Many Words
- Music! | My Author-itis
- Days Of Music Passed | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt challenge: What music played in your home growing up and what effect did it have on your music taste? | A cup of noodle soup
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo | That Montreal Girl
- Music In My Life | 365 Days of Thank You
- Is your playlist up-to-date? | Random & Real
- My Fab Four. | Simple Heart Girl
- Playing Second Fiddle | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Mainly Country but also quite eclectic. | cockatooscreeching
- A Sinfonietta of Five | When the Door Closes
- Papa Loves Mambo | Laughing Through Life
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo – Sound of Music | SA:ME (사메)
- Daily Prompt: Papa Loves Mambo but Mama – Mama is a Different Story – Mama is a Big Bands Kinda Gal | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- The Breakfast Soundtrack – Compass & Quill
- Friday, I’m In Love! | Hey, Miss Adventures!
- Earth, Wind &…Mariah? (The Daily Post: Papa Loves Mambo) | The Polka Dot Penguin
- Records My Parents Played | Polymathically
- Papa Loves Mambo (Not really) | Alexia Jones
- Papa Loves Mambo | reyoflight