Today’s Daily Prompt was called “Que Sera Sera”, so I decided to make the title of my post the same thing… but in HEBREW! (It is pronounced mah yihiyeh yihiyeh).
Do I believe in fate or free will? In some sense, I believe in a combination of both. There are many times when I may plan something and then change plans spontaneously, OR go on a whim. I think that both of these are signs of controlling one’s own destiny. If all of life were based on some predetermined destiny, it’s just too weird to describe.
Granted, the random events which happen sometimes seem like fate. I was evidently fated not to die when I was hit by a car on November 22, 2011.
Additionally, I feel that friendships and acquaintanceships that reunite after a long hiatus are more based on fate than necessarily based on choice. Oftentimes, I find that they are not mutual–perhaps it is free will to one person and fate to another!
One of my friends, Eitan, I met at services at Hillel in June of 2011 when he was in Evanston for a summer internship. Then, in 2012, he came to Northwestern for a Masters program, and we (re)met at services for ראש השנה (Rosh Hashanah). However, he is about to move to Colorado to continue the job search, so it was good that we rendezvoused yesterday for lunch. When we were done, I took into account the quote from Sunny-Side Up’s finale (partial courtesy J.M. Barrie):
“‘Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.’ Instead of ‘goodbye’ … I always say ‘see you.’ … You’ll find a way one way or another … if your paths are meant to cross, they will cross! … Never goodbye, only see you.”
My parents think that the perfect person is going to find me, rather than the other way around, and that seems like letting fate decide for me.
It is a very interesting philosophical question, but at this point, I want to spend my head-bashing effort for the day by focusing on the work for my doctorate of philosophy, despite not actually working in philosophy!
Today is the eighty-fifth day of M.M.X.I.V. That makes twelve weeks and one day.
Here are the other posts that have responded to this prompt as of 20:48 Central Daylight Time.
- THE JOYS OF SPINSTERHOOD aka The Spinsterhood of the Travelling Bridesmaid | She Writes
- SOCIETY’S CREATION: BEAUTY STANDARDS | She Writes
- Impressions of poverty | AS I PLEASE
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera- Why we don’t achieve our goals | Journeyman
- It’s Your Choice | Musings | WANGSGARD
- Is it a destiny I control or fate or a bit of both? | Purplesus’ Blog
- Daily Prompt…. Que Sera Sera? | The Ambitious Drifter
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- We are what we are | Attempted Human Relations and Self
- “Que Sera Sera” – A poem | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Taking Control – Character’s Choices Shape Stories, Not Fate | My Little Avalon
- Invictus? I think not…. | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- destiny | yi-ching lin photography
- Life of Positivity | Views Splash!
- DP Daily Prompt: Qeu Sera Sera | Sabethville
- on a scale from walking | y
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera « cognitive reflection
- Destiny | swiggityswag
- Anthem of the oppressed | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Danube | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Who protects me? | wisskko’s blog
- In Search of the Star: A Filipino Catholic from Saudi Meets an American Jew from Bosotn | Kosher Adobo
- Daily prompt: Que sera sera | I really just pretend to know stuff
- This Too Shall End | Losing It
- Daily Prompt: Que Pawera Pawera | Love your dog
- Que Sera Sera? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Zig-Zag « Averil Dean
- Fate had naff-all to do with that. And OMG but T2 was freaking awesome… | thoughtsofrkh
- Zombie Planes and Fate: Driving My Life with Purpose « psychologistmimi
- Fate, Faith and Excuses (Or the Man With the Funny Hat) | jigokucho
- Choose, but Choose Wisely | Green Embers
- I Had BEST See A Return On My Investment!!!! | Because It Calms My Nerves:
- Finding No Such As ‘Fate’ | Awake & Dreaming
- Daily Prompt: Fate vs. Free Will | Raevenly Writes
- “Kay who, who?” | Relax
- We do have choice | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Call it what you will | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Whatever Will Be | Flowers and Breezes
- Fate, Destiny, Kismet – Love, Sex & Poetry (Daily Prompt – Que Sera Sera) | Linda Long Writes!
- of nasty things, like sex and masturbation | Anawnimiss
- God And Fish and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- Fate or Destiny? | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Basically Beyond Basic
- What ever wil be will be (if we will it to be) | Move Away From Here
- Whatever will be will be | Willow’s Corner
- Old Soul: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Fated for Happiness | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Ramblings of A Nonsensical Nerd
- What Will be, Will be? | Cheri Speak
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera « Mama Bear Musings
- Waiting for the rain | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Fate Chance Luck | Real Life Co.
- “Just Do It” But Hope for A Little Bit of Luck | Parents Are People Too
- Un Poco (a little) | djgarcia94
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | My Atheist Blog
- DAILY PROMPT: Que Sera Sera, Siempre por Siempre | Fit 4 Life, LLC
- I Control My Life | Knowledge Addiction
- This Post Comes with a Warning Label . . . | janeyinmersin
- the way you do the things you do | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Que Sera Sera | manmadeoceans
- You can’t sit forever on destiny’s safe little shelf – | The Flavored Word
- Destiny? | Tea & Paper
- Daily Prompt: March 26 | Balmy Life
- Que Sera Sera | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- I Believe in Resillence….(WP Daily Prompt) | Daily Observations
- Everything Has Changed | A Good One
- Textured Captures: Sand & Stone | LenzExperiments
- when you leave, i imagine | y
- Fate or Destiny…Can It Be Controlled? | Our Baby Dreams
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera – I Quit My Job | A Note From Jenn
- Daily Prompt: Time Can’t Be Rewritten | Blackbird’s Nest
- Daily Prompt: Passenger Seat | Cabernet In The Dark
- Fated? | Kate Murray
- I control my destiny | Asianchemnerd
- Daily Prompt: Being Destined! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Moments of Fate | A.C. Melody
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | hlpetersen
- Luck lurks | Emotional Fitness
- Que Sera Sera (Daily Prompt) | Roving Bess
- Que Sera Sera | fromdublintoparis
- Old Faces | Writing and Works
- Who’s that knocking on the door? | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- My Choices | My Author-itis
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | Just Be V
- The illusion of Control | Living with Post Concussion Syndrome
- I’m a Freebird | Nodus Tollens
- Daily Prompt: Que sera, sera | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- When (Fate/Destiny, Choose One) Hands You Lemons… | by LRose
- A Few of My Favorite Things…. | Coffee Crumbs
- Sentimental Journey | Speculative Paradigm Shifts
- One man’s miracle… | Trucker Turning Write
- Day 85: Everything Happens For A Reason? | The Sacred Architecture of Here and Now
- Daily Prompt: Que Sera Sera | genieve celada photography
- Que Sera Sera | Alexia Jones
- fate | make it happen. maybe?
- Fate Or Destiny Or Whatever? | Edward Hotspur
- Que Sera sera | Learning From Life