Last week, I posted a “Don’t spoil the game!” blog post, for the Nebraska/Illinois and Northwestern/Minnesota games.
At the Stout football game, however, the latter was spoiled, as the announcer called out WIAC updates, followed by Wisconsin’s loss and Northwestern’s shutout win.
I once again DVR’d both the Nebraska and Northwestern football games today, and thought of an idea to prevent spoilers, as shown below:
The Nebraska game was on ABC/ESPN, and the Northwestern game was on BTN. Both of these networks have a ticker at the bottom with scores from games around the conference and nation. They also occasionally cut in during breaks in the action with highlights from other games. I am able to avert my gaze and fast forward through these announcements, but I cannot easily avert my gaze from the ticker.
So, this picture did something for me:
Yes, indeed. I taped a double-strip of paper on the bottom of the screen to block the tickers.
Furthermore, since the games were being played simultaneously and I was watching both on tape delay, I mitigated the effect of spoilers by watching one quarter of one game, pausing, shifting to the other game and watching one quarter, etc.
Today was a great day for volleyball, and a horrendous day for everything else. Although I “only” witnessed four events live or tape-delayed, I heard about three others. First, the heartbreakers and backbreakers:
- FOOTBALL HEARTBREAK: UW-Stout lost at UW-LaCrosse to fall to 1-4 on the season. (Did not actually see the game, but heard about it)
- FOOTBALL HEARTBREAK: Wisconsin pulled ahead with 4 seconds left to represent Nebraska’s fourth opponent to pull ahead at the 59:49 mark or later this season… which is also why the Huskers are 2-4.
- FOOTBALL CURB-STOMP: After a 5-0 start, Northwestern was blanked at Michigan as it seemed over from the start–a kickoff return for a touchdown, NU three-and-out, and UM drive for another seven.
- TENNIS CURB-STOMP: Every Blue Devil, except one, was swiftly wiped out by the opposition from UW-LaCrosse.
With all of that losing, at least my volleyball teams went a perfect 3-0 today!
- Stout overcame a few defensive breakdown sequences and pulled out a win on Senior Day against UW-Plattesville, in five sets. It was my first win at a Stout event that I had to use my season pass to enter!
- Nebraska knocked off Michigan in four sets. I only heard about this one.
- The BIG stunner: Northwestern defeated #3 Penn State!!
Sports are a funny thing. And for my football teams, there is next week!
Today is the tenth day of the fourth round of O.C.T.O.B.E.R. That makes one week and three days.
Memorial Stadium: 14 days.
Thanksgiving Day: 47 days.
Joint Mathematics Meetings: 88 days.