On Wednesday, I played in a bridge game, and the auction went really wonky. Here are the hands all arranged in the order Spades/Hearts/Diamonds/Clubs:
NORTH: Q983 / Q92 / J / A9873
EAST: JT765 / T83 / 98742 / VOID
SOUTH: K / KJ7654 / T / KQJ54
WEST: A42 / A / AKQ653 / T62
The auction proceeded as follows:
|West (Partner)||North||East (Me)||South|
|1NT (1)||Pass||2H (2)||Double (3)|
|4D||4H (5)||Pass (6)||5C|
(1) Our agreement had this as 14-17 points and a BALANCED hand. The latter was not satisfied by this bid. (Maybe partner had a diamond in with the heart?)
(2) Transfer to spades. (Partner, please bid spades.)
(3) I’ve got hearts. Partner, lead them if you can.
(4) Seems to be a very aggressive action.
(5) A “raise” of hearts, since a game contract is higher reward and going down isn’t likely to be a disaster in this auction.
(6) Long pause, because partner’s auction completely befuddled me.
The director was called for both the action at (5), as well as on opening lead, when my partner led out of turn. The final result:their 5Hx was down three.
According to the hand record, 4S and 6D can be made our way, but starting the auction with 1NT created a train wreck on all sides.
Still, looking at both hands, I would not want to be in slam. The only reason it makes is because you have one spade loser (the SQ) when diamonds are trumps.
This is a good example of why you shouldn’t use double-dummy analysis to determine whether you belonged in slam or what contract you belonged in. You can’t “results” it, especially when wild distribution causes the auction to run off the rails.
It works in reverse too… a reasonable auction is doomed to fail. The first hand that I played on Wednesday was the following:
NORTH: KT954 / KQT2 / 5 / QT5
EAST: Q862 / A5 / AQ6 / J987
SOUTH: 73 / J87 / KJT832 / 32
WEST: AJ / 9643 / 974 / AK64
The auction (if I recall it correctly):
|North||East (Me)||South||West (Partner)|
Yeah. 3NT is hopeless. No long suit to set up and all finesses are wrong.
Hey, that’s what makes bridge both fun and infuriating🙂
Carthage Teaching: 5 days
NU vs NU: 22 days
High Holidays: 31 days