I have heard of some people instituting “Meatless Mondays” on their weekly food schedules. I don’t subscribe to this trend, but what I cooked today was indeed meatless, and I wanted to share a picture of it. Yeah, I’m joining the insufferable ranks of the foodstagrammers, even though I refuse to get Instagram.
(Nevertheless, it seems that each of my M.A.P.L.E. posts this year rate to have photographic accompaniment. Maybe I should make that my theme of this year’s edition!)
Yep, a vegetarian chili, and my first time using a crock pot to make chili. (Each previous time that I made chili, I used a regular pot and made it as a beef chili).
The recipe that I used follows (modified from a recipe on morningstarfarms.com):
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 3 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans (rinse and drain)
- 1.5 cup tomato juice
- 12 oz meatless “beef” crumbles (e.g. Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles)
- 1/2 of a zucchini, chopped*
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Add all ingredients to the crock pot
- Set on LOW and forget it while you go to work
- Come back to work and get the wonderful smell of chili filling your apartment or house.
- And it tastes just as good as a meaty chili!
Maybe at some point I’ll try to make a meat-based chili in the crock pot… or simply repeat this recipe. I might even try it during the summer, as most of my food preferences are independent of the weather!
Finals Week: 7 days
ארץ ישראל: כ”ז ימים (Israel: 27 days)
אתמול היה שיבעה ועשרים יום–שהם שלושה שבועות ושישה ימים לעומר
Today is the eighth day of the sixth round of M.A.P.L.E.: one week and one day.