Naturally, it starts with one of my favorite images on “Chance” cards in Monopoly…
And then it’s a quick vignette about something that just happened, and happens to be an annoyance of mine that I might as well just get out.
When I want to print something at Carthage from a campus printer, I make sure of the following:
- I am on campus.
- My computer is connected to the Carthage network.
- I choose the Print command from the program from which I want to print.
- I choose the number of copies.
- I hit “Print.”
- MISSING STEP #1
- MISSING STEP #2
- I walk to the printer (which is halfway across the building).
- I sign into the printer.
- I choose my print job and tap “Print” on the touchpad.
- POSSIBLE PITFALL
The one or two missing steps cause a lot of annoyance, and here are the Missing Steps:
- Wait for the Print Job Notification popup and click “Print.”
- Bring my ID card to the printer in order to sign in to the printer.
More commonly, Missing Step #2 is what causes me to backpedal and go back to my office in annoyance.
But tonight, it was Missing Step #1. (Well, and my ID card was buried under a pile of grading and junk… as shown here.
And then, after Step 10 is a POSSIBLE PITFALL. On the screen with the Print button, there’s a “Delete” button, in such a position that a misclick hits Delete. And neither of them have a confirmation dialog! So I have, at least once, deleted a print job because of missing the print key and hitting the blasted delete key!
Ah, how fun it is to work with possible pitfalls.
It’s ironic that I have to use a confirmation when I don’t want it, and don’t get a confirmation when I really need it! (And I’m probably using irony in an incorrect Morisettian sense here…)
יום כפור: 4 ימים
Green Bay/St. Norbert: 39 days
Minneapolis: 46 days