I’ve been at plenty of outdoors sporting events with awful weather. Among some of these have been games that there was no delay, since most of the sports other than baseball/softball play on in any type of weather.
Here are some of the icky games that I have been to.
- Northwestern vs. Michigan State football, 2013. The weather was frigid, and the Spartans ended the postseason hopes of the ‘Cats.
- Nebraska vs. Nicholls State football, 2006. It was raining on and off all day. At least the Huskers blanked the Colonels!
- Various Northwestern field hockey games in 2009 and 2010. Sheets of rain in the mid-afternoon!
- Southeast vs. Millard South football, 2003. The Knights get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round on a chilly evening where my toes froze!
- Nebraska vs. Northern Iowa in softball, 2007. A cold DOUBLEHEADER on baseball opening day!
There have been a few baseball or softball games that I have been to where the tarp has come out, such as Twins vs. Tigers in early June 2016, or others.
But today, it’s a first: a college football game (Carthage vs. Elmhurst) that I wanted to go to has been weather-delayed. But, it seems obvious as to why… see below.
Yikes-o-Matic! The game is delayed until 13:45 at the earliest.
Today is the fourteenth day of the sixth round of O.C.T.O.B.E.R. That makes two weeks.
Green Bay/St. Norbert: 20 days
Minneapolis: 27 days
Lincoln: 70 days