All of these photos are probably illegal, because I was taking them while at the wheel on a solo drive from the Twin Cities to Lincoln, but I’m willing to take that risk since I’m an otherwise safe driver.
A long drive means a long time to think, listen to music, talk on the phone, and more. So, here’s an account of the drive, which has more detail (!) than what I journaled about.
- Got a call to Samantha after getting a hold of Mom to let her know that I was en route! Phone calls and chatting always make travel go faster
- It reminds me of a quick drive to Kansas City in a Pokemon carpool!
- Gas is on the rise! $2.649 per gallon, after being as low as $2.099/gallon two months ago.
- It was good to hear that Dina is seeing someone right now!
- Welcome to Iowa! And my MP3 player played “Interstate 80 Iowa” by Heywood Banks… about 130 miles too early!
- Speaking of 130 miles… it helps to compartmentalize a trip into smaller segments, at least in my mind!
- I think it’s interesting how most states use the pentagonal signs for county roads, but some Minnesota county roads are square white signs with numbers; all Wisconsin county roads are square white signs with letters.
- I’ve got a trial subscription of Sirius XM on my radio that was provided to me after the oil change prior to the Polar Vortex. This was a great timing for one, since including today [i.e. yesterday], I have at least four long drives planned.
- Thus, I got to listen to the Wofford/Kentucky game. Midnight struck for the mid-major.
- Also got to listen to the 70’s through ’90s stations, and occasionally shifting to the bpm station (for some dance hits)
- Got a hold of all three siblings, and they’re excited both to see me and about Samantha. Grilling will commence tomorrow night!
- Ah, Des Moines. About three hours left after I took a bladder breather.
- Casey, Iowa. A small town whose gas station is NOT a Casey’s General Store, but a Kum & Go. What’s up with that?
- Out of photos. But it’s so good to be back in Nebraska!
- I’ll be the roundabout, I’ll make those words go out & out…
- I could have time-warped if my car had a 1.21 GW flux capacitor, as highway hypnosis put me up to 90 mph a couple of times!
- (EDIT) OH! And although this is definitely shoehorning in, I realize that the “Rift” from Sue Vincent’s Writephoto could apply to POTHOLES that I saw along the road. All of the snowmelt from the brutal winter is doing a number on the roads!
Lake Michigan Weekend: 19 days
Madison: 68 days
Lincoln II: 98 days