This week’s #writephoto, combined with the caption, made me think of “Push it out to sea,” which comes from the summer of 2000.
But, in the summer of 2000, I was nowhere close to the sea. I was preparing for my bar mitzvah, in Nebraska. There’s a mild story that will segue intoט the main part.
One line of Psalm 97 reads in Hebrew as follows, and then the English translation as per Siddur Sim Shalom (1985 edition) will follow:
אש לפניו תלך, ותלהט סביב צריו. האירו ברקיו תבל, ראתה ותחל הארץ.
(“[God’s] lightning illumines the globe, fire consumes [God’s] foes.”
Traditionally at my synagogue in Lincoln, we read this psalm responsively in English. However, when I was younger, I frequently misread “illumine” as “illuminate.” Maybe a minor error, but it’s a nice segue into a sequence of mondegreens, inspired by the photo. And “push it out to sea” is the first mondegreen, which I first heard in the summer of 2000 when I was in the car with Mom, picking up Casey from gymnastics.
Here are 16 Mondegreens, many with watery implications one way or another!
- Push it out to sea, pick it up and try again.\
- Was it you that said, POWER! POWER! POWER to the point of no return?
- Don’t go, Jason Waterfalls! Listen to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to.
- Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi! Keep on hoping but I can’t find the open door!
- Sing the song, don’t be long, bill me to the Pharaoh!
- I miss the rains down in Africa.
- All we are is just in the wind.
- Something the hero’s a part…
- You’ve taken someone’s girl when they turn on the mirror.
- Ain’t no sound but the sound of speed, machine gun’s ready to go!
- I’ve been waiting for this summer all my life, oh no.
- It’s on James’ side. No way, it’s some other guy!
- Focus, fire a gun! We all need somebody to lean on.
- Devil with the bluegrass song!
- The voices bang and the angels sang.
- Walking on, walking on broken backs!
And now, the real words, along with the artist that I have shamed and the song name.
- If at first you don’t succeed, dust it off and try again. [Aaliyah, Try Again]
- Was it you that said: “How long? How long? How long to the point of know return?” [Kansas, Point of Know Return]
- Don’t go chasing waterfalls! Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to. [TLC, Waterfalls]
- Ay-yi-yi-yi, I keep on hoping we’ll eat cake by the ocean <grunt>! [DNCE, Cake By The Ocean]
- Sing the song, don’t be long, thrill me to the marrow! [CSNY, Suite Judy Blue Eyes]
- I bless the rains down in Africa. [Toto, Africa. NOTE: Some karaoke machines have the wrong lyrics!]
- All we are is dust in the wind. [Kansas, Dust in the Wind]
- How can we rewrite the stars? [Zac Efron, Rewrite The Stars]
- You’ve taken someone’s girl when they turn on the pillow [Genesis, Abacab]
- Ain’t no sound but the sound of his feet, machine gun’s ready to go! [Queen, Another One Bites The Dust]
- I’ve been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord. [Phil Collins, In The Air Tonight]
- It’s an orangy sky. Always, it’s some other guy. [The Cars, Bye Bye Love]
- Blow a kiss, fire a gun! We all need somebody to lean on. [Major Lazer, Lean On]
- Devil with a blue dress on! [Mitch Ryder, Devil With A Blue Dress On]
- The voices rang and the angels sing. [Santana, Into The Night]
- Walking on, walking on broken glass! [Annie Lennox, Walking On Broken Glass]
Obviously, you can see that a lot of these misheard lyrics would have been obviated if I had KNOWN some of the titles of these songs…
This is the conclusion of the eighth round of M.A.P.L.E.!
אתמול היה אחד וארבעים יום: שהיו חמישה שבועות ושישה ימים לעומר.
Madison: Come on!
Happy Lincoln: 31 days
Phoenix: approx. 49 days