I missed my Wednesday post! Oh well… אלה חיים (eileh chayim which is Hebrew for c’est la vie). Maybe I will get the post intended then for tomorrow or Saturday.
This is one of my “Travel Debacle Nearly Averted” stories. However, I’ll tell it through bullet points this time… with brackets to indicate additional clarifications
Thursday, January 8 [, 2009]
- Up at 525 to my watch [in the Washington DC hotel]
- Changed, packed, and paid for the hotel
- Took the Metro: the Red Line to the Blue Line, to the Airport
- Checked in to Northwest Airlines at 645-ish
- There’s a SNAG! The MSP plane won’t depart until 1000, and I’ll miss my connection!
- Northwest sent me to United, and their agents were at bay… but I somehow got on!
- I got patted down going to security, but at least I didn’t miss a flight!
- Dunkin’ Donuts for breakfast
- Got aboard United 604 with no problem
- Did some journal transfer, and when there were no electronics allowed, I journaled
- Got to ORD in 1 hour 37 minutes, and so we were faster than the estimate by 4 minutes
- Found Gate 22A and it’s the tarmac gate! This is just like last time in returning from Boston!
- Transferred up to June 25 while I charged up the PC
- Searched the terminal for lunch and chose Johnny Rocket’s
- The burger and fries were good, but the rings only fair
- Journaled and relaxed while taking to some Husker divers—they were at Tennessee for a meet
- Boarded and got on—I’m on the window in the last row!
- Played Pearl on the way there
- Whoops! I left my journal on the plane! Luckily, it’s waiting for me at the airport
- Went to the office and then to Super Saver
- Pot stickers for dinner 😦
- Lazed around for a while
- Turned on Mom & Dad’s TV for the BCS championship game: (2) Oklahoma (1) Florida
1) The Sooners elected to receive after winning the toss, and got a first down before a miss. Florida did no better, when getting picked in Oklahoma’s territory. In short, both offenses did squat!
*Watched Mom & Dad make pot stickers while I had chili
2) The Gators scored first, but the Sooners responded. Later, OU threatened but couldn’t score. Their play-calling seems suspect today!
*Fast-forwarded through halftime… [we weren’t watching truly live]
3) Another bad choice made Oklahoma flub a drive, and then Bradford later turned it over. Thus, Florida got a chance to have a touchdown and a field goal to open up a 10-point lead.
4) The Sooners made the score 14-17, but turned over the ball at a critical point. Later, in going for it on fourth down, OU missed, and Florida got 7 more points. This means that the Big 12 South loses another bowl game! Ouch!
- Slept immediately thereafter
פסח: י”א ימים (Passover: 11 days)
ארץ ישראל: ס”ו ימים (Israel: 66 days)